Rice Candy

An unassuming blog about whatever catches my fancy. Reviews: books, movies, manga, anime, restaurants, art, countries, opera, ballet.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Seven Daughters and Seven Sons (review)


Througout my mildly short life, I have read thousands of books, so if I say a book is good, by God, that book is good! Anyway, Seven Daughters and Seven Sons, by Barbara Cohen and Bahija Lovejoy, is most definitely in my top five.
This story is based on your normal, everyday, cross-dressing Iraqi legend. It's about a poor man with seven daughters and his rich brother with seven sons. Basically, people believed daughters were unlucky, and sons were, and the financial situations of the two brothers simply enforced it. The rich brother is a jerk, and frequently gloats about his wealth to his poor relatives.
The main character, Buran, is the fourth of the seven daughters. She is smart, hates house-work, and loves to play chess with her father. Eventually, the father gets sick, and the family is at a loss about what to do to get by. Of course, Buran suggests to her parents that she dress up like a man, and become a merchant in a far-away city, like her seven male cousins. They think she's out of her mind, but eventually must give in.
She leaves, becomes rich, but then... a complication! She falls in love.
I cannot tell you how much I looooooooove this book. I have forced several friends and relatives to read it, and they have all loved it too. I have had the book since the fifth grade, and the cover is taped on, my dog chewed on the spine, the pages are yellowed, and many are bent because I read it over and over... Well, at least several times a year. The story is told from two perspectives: that of Buran, and that of Mahmud, the Prince of Tyre. (I forgot to mention that. Oops!) Please, please, please read this book! I can almost guarantee that you will never regret it. If I had to rate it, I would give it a 10/10.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home